HLTAID010 applies to all workers who may be required to provide basic emergency life support including CPR in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Alternatively you can Contact Us directly – we are here to help.
There are no formal entry requirements.
This 7 hour short course involves a blend of theoretical and practical skill based elements.
HLTAID010 covers the following topics:
- First Aider Responsibilities
- Assess hazards, minimising risks and infection control
- Assess an emergency situation
- Infection Control
- Safe manual Handling of the Casualty(s)
- Resuscitation, Airway Management & Choking
- First aid management of:
- Bleeding, Wounds & Shock
- Sprains & Strains (Soft Tissue Injuries)
- Bone injuries (fractures, dislocations)
- Asthma, Anaphylaxis and allergic reactions
- Cardiac Arrest
- Casualty Handover – Communication of accurate details
To successfully complete this short course, participants need to demonstrate:
- An ability to perform uninterrupted CPR on both infants and adults in line with ANZCOR Guidelines
- An ability to activate and follow the prompts of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- The ability to respond to at least one simulated first aid scenario relevant to your workplace/community setting
- Knowledge of State/Territory regulations, First Aid codes of practice and workplace procedures
- An understanding of legal, workplace and community considerations relevant to the qualification
- An understanding of key considerations when providing basic emergency life support
- A basic understanding of anatomy and physiology relevant to providing basic emergency life support
To be assessed as Competent the participant is required to:
- Participate in activities and scenarios as directed by the trainer
- Successfully complete a selection of multiple choice questions
- Demonstrate the application of practical skills required for this unit of competency outcome.
On successful completion, participants will be issued with a nationally recognised Statement of Attainment for HLTAID010 – Provide Basic Emergency Life Support Course.
For many Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, this unit may also contribute towards nationally recognised qualifications.
This training may also provide an opportunity for professional development by increasing skills, knowledge and application in the work or home environment.
The law requires employers to provide a safe working environment and adequate facilities for the welfare of their employees. This means that appropriate First Aid measures need to be in place, including First Aid kits and suitably trained First Aid Officers who hold current qualifications.
Workcover’s First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practice in New South Wales and WorkSafe’s First Aid In The Workplace – Compliance Code in Victoria both outline an employers’ obligation to keep the qualifications of their First Aid Officers current.
Re-certification for HLTAID010 is recommended every 3 years.
In addition, an annual refresher in HLTAID001 – Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation will ensure you maintain your knowledge of the essential skills required to perform CPR, in line with the Australian and New Zealand Committee on Resuscitation (ANZCOR) guidelines.
We can also track and notify you when a First Aid recertification is required for you or your team.
Our trainers for this short course all hold a Certificate IV in Training & Assessment and have current, extensive experience in the community as Health Care professionals, Paramedics or Nurses.
We offer the highest standards of knowledge and skills transfer, supported by up-to-date, relevant information on industry practices and protocols.
This unit contributes to many Nationally Recognised Training Qualifications which is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework.