First Aid FAQs

How old do I need to be to do First Aid training?

You need to be 14 years or above to learn Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), or have the consent of your parent or guardian.

When do I need to redo my first aid training and CPR training?

First Intervention follows the Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines and recommends that refresher courses are completed within the recommended or specified timeframes. We strongly recommend you try to comply with your local workplace or industry specific requirements regarding first aid qualifications. If you have passed the recommended or specified recertification timeframe, your prior training may not be recognised as valid.

How do I make a group booking for any of your First Aid courses?

We offer group booking options for all our First Aid courses and can also provide customised Continuing Education Programs (CEPs) in First Aid and Emergency Care to suit your Workplace and business requirements.

Training can be tailored to reflect true workplace scenarios and at a time and location to suit your needs. We offer the highest standards of knowledge and skills transfer, supported by up-to-date, relevant information on industry practices and protocols.

For general enquiries, please Enquire Now online or Contact Us by phone or email.

If you’re ready to make a booking, then you can Book a First Aid Course online for your group (minimum booking of 8 people required).

Contact us for more information on course details and pricing. We can even tailor the course to your workplace needs.

General Information

What time should I arrive when attending a training session?

It’s a good idea to arrive 10 to 15 minutes prior to the start of the session.

Is there anywhere to park at your training venue?

Each of our training venues have different parking options. Refer to your confirmation email for further details.

Do I need to bring anything to my training?

Yes. We suggest you bring along a notepad and pen. For sessions longer than 3 hours, we also suggest you bring a bottle of water and any lunch or snacks you need.

Is there somewhere I can buy my lunch?

Each of our training venues has somewhere to buy lunch that is located within a short walking distance. Please ask us for the details on the day of your training.

What should I wear to my training course?

Casual and comfortable attire is recommended, particularly for any Workplace First Aid or Patient Transport/Pre-Hospital Care training where you may need to participate in activities that require kneeling, bending and lying on the floor.

Do I need access to my own computer?

This is generally not required for stand-alone short courses such as First Aid.

However for all Certificate and Diploma level courses, you will need your own access to a computer with MS office or MAC equivalent for after class work or assessment tasks that need to be completed online. You will also need reliable internet access and may require the use of a printer when working remotely.

Do I need any form of official student identification?

If you are planning to enrol in any of our accredited short courses, a Certificate or a Diploma course which are nationally recognised training courses, you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI) number. There’s no cost to you and it will take you just a couple of minutes to create your own USI number online.

Under current legislation you must include your USI number when enrolling in a course.

A USI gives you access to your online USI account, which contains all your nationally recognised training records and results. This is an invaluable resource to easily provide your training records and results when applying for a job, enrolling in further study and throughout your working life.

How do I create my Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

For more information about the USI, including the ID that you need to support your application, please go direct to the Australian government website at USI Student Information.

Are there any additional costs relating to your courses that I should be aware of?

This will depend on the training that are undertaking.

First Intervention provides all students with upfront, accurate information concerning our course fees, charges, refunds and methods of payment so you know what you’re committing to prior to enrolment.

Certificate and Diploma courses generally have some pre-requisite entry requirements. Where applicable, students are responsible for all costs incurred in providing the required information for entry into the course. As an example, the cost of obtaining a police check and/or a Working with Children Check for Certificates or Diplomas in Early Childhood Education and Care or in the field of Patient Transport/Pre-Hospital Care is the responsibility of the student.

Are there terms or school holiday breaks for your Certificate III or Diploma courses?

Breaks in the scheduling of classes will vary based on the type and duration of the course. Generally courses longer than 3 or 4 months will have some type of break. We suggest you enquire about the proposed timetable when you attend your Pre-Training interview.

Once I complete my training course, how long will it take before I receive my official notification?

For all non-accredited and individual accredited short courses, your statement of attainment will generally be issued either on the day (where possible) and no more than 5 working days after the final completion date. The exact timeframe will depend on the process for assessments to be finalised.

For all accredited Certificate and Diploma courses, your qualification will generally be issued to all successful participants within 10 working days after the final completion date.

Please note: Certification will be withheld if course fees have not been remitted in accordance with the agreed payment terms, and only released once all fees have been duly paid.

What happens if I have enrolled in a Certificate or a Diploma qualification and I decide part way through that I don’t wish to continue?

Students who do not complete all units of competency may be eligible for a Statement of Attainment for those units completed at the time of exiting the qualification.

Can I get a refund if I cancel my training?

It will depend on the circumstances as to whether a full refund is possible for any course fees paid.

Refund and transfer arrangements are clearly outlined in the Student Handbook and/or Booking Form (for Short Courses only), in the course material provided prior to enrolment and also upon confirmation of enrolment.

Prior to any course bookings being finalised, students/clients are provided with details of deadlines and financial penalties which may be incurred in the case of cancellation or rescheduling. For further information, please refer to our Refund Policy.

What if I have learning difficulties?

If you have any special needs (including those related to language, literacy or numeracy) a relevant disability or other concern, please inform our staff when you first enquire so that appropriate assistance can be discussed.

What’s the difference between a short course and a unit of competency?

A unit of competency is generally one component of a qualification within an accredited training package. Units of Competency generally refer to a component within an accredited course and may also be referred to as a short course.

A unit of competency can be combined with a training course or in some cases can be delivered by themselves as a short stand-alone course.

We do also offer some short courses which are not accredited and are not part of an accredited course.

What is the difference between non-accredited and an accredited training?

As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), First Intervention is approved to deliver a range of courses which are outlined on the National database for Vocational Education and Training in Australia. All accredited units we offer as outlined under our Scope of Registration, contribute to a Nationally Recognised Training Qualification, compliant with the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF).

We also offer a number of Non-Accredited courses.

Non–accredited units do not attract a credit towards any nationally recognised training qualification. However non-accredited short courses may provide an opportunity for professional development for those studying Early Childhood Education and Care by increasing skills, knowledge and application in the work or home environment.

Are there any formal entry requirements for Certificate III or Diploma Qualifications?

In general, sound language, literacy and numeracy skills, combined with a moderate level of computer literacy skills are minimum requirements for both Certificate III and Diploma level qualifications. Your capacity to complete the assessment items within the specified timeframes is also necessary.

In some cases applicants must be aged 18 years or above and additional checks may be required such as a Working with Children Check for Early Childhood Education and Care courses.

Please note: applicants are responsible for the cost of any mandated checks required, regardless of whether they are accepted into the course.

If I’m interested in particular training, is it guaranteed that I will be accepted?

This will depend on the training that are undertaking.

As long as you meet the entry requirements (if any are in place) for our short courses/units of competency and placements are available on a suitable date and venue, then enrolment is usually straight forward.

For all Certificate and Diploma courses, you will need to complete a Pre-Training interview to discuss your suitability to the Course as well as completing the enrolment process including any supporting documentation and background checks (where required).

Does my prior experience count towards a Certificate III or a Diploma?

You may be able to complete your qualification sooner through formal recognition of your previous work, existing skills and education and life experiences. This is known as Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

If you’re thinking about studying, we offer a Skills Recognition Pathway aimed at evaluating your options and entitlements to apply for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), Credit Transfer (CT), National Recognition (NR) or Recognition of Current Competency (RCC).

Any RPL arrangements are assessed prior to acceptance of an enrolment application.

Please note, if you are planning to apply for Unit exemptions, all required documentation must be submitted when you lodge the Enrolment application and finalised at least 3 weeks prior to Course commencement.

Who regulates the training that First Intervention offers?

As a company operating in the Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector, any accredited qualifications that First Intervention offers have been accredited by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).

ASQA is the national regulator for Australia’s Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector. ASQA regulates courses and training providers to ensure nationally approved quality standards are met.

What is the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) and what does it mean if the AQF logo is shown against a training course?

The AQF is Australia’s national framework of qualifications in the school, vocational education and training and higher education sectors.

All AQF qualifications are quality assured through government accreditation processes.  Education providers that issue AQF qualifications have been authorised to do so under law.

AQF qualifications are identified by inclusion of the AQF logo, or the words: This qualification is recognised within the Australian Qualifications Framework.

AQF qualifications ensure national recognition and consistency as well as a common understanding across Australia of what defines each type of qualification. For example, how a Certificate III level course differs from a Diploma level course.

What is Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) and what does it mean if the NRT logo is shown against a training course?

Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) is any program of training leading to vocational qualifications and credentials that are recognised across Australia. It can apply to study at a public or private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship, certificate or diploma course.

The NRT logo is a mark of quality for promoting and certifying national vocational education and training leading to Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualifications or Statements of Attainment.

Can I complain or appeal if I don’t believe I have been assessed fairly?

First Intervention has a Complaints and Appeals Policy and Procedure which is available to all students via the Student Handbook and also online via the classroom Student Resources Section.

We recognise that having providing a respectful and structured approach to reviewing any complaint or appeal that may arise is vital to valuing the opinions of both students and lecturers. If a complaint, appeal or a grievance is made, we will endeavour to respond efficiently and effectively with the aim of finding the best resolution possible in a timely manner.

General Enquiries

+61 3 9376 7900

+61 3 9376 4900

First Intervention Pty Ltd

25 Silicon Place, Tullamarine,

Victoria 3043 Australia

RTO ID: 20946